Qualifications and Professional Development
Ph.D. in Communication
Major in Public Relations (cognate area: strategic conflict resolution), Department of Communication, University of Maryland at College Park, MD (December, 2002).
Dissertation (supervised by Dr. James E. Grunig): The interplays of relationship types, relationship cultivation, and relationship outcomes: How multinational and Taiwanese companies practice public relations and organization-public relationship management in China.
Master of Science in Public Relations
College of Communication, Boston University, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Arts
Department of Library and Information Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Honors & Awards
- 2010, Judge, being invited as the first Taiwanese to serve in the Judge Panel for China International Public Relations Association Awards, Beijing, China.
- 2010, Commendation, The Gold Standard Awards (category: Leadership and Development) from Public Affairs Asia.
- 2009, PR 100, being elected as one of the top 100 PR people in China. Organized by China International Public Relations Association, Beijing, China.
- 2009, Outstanding alumni of College of Communication, Boston University, recognized in the Public Relations Division Reception in AEJMC, Boston, MA, 2009.
- 2009, Committee Member, being invited to serve in the Academic Committee (consisting of prominent public relations scholars in China) of China International Public Relations Association.
- 2006, Plaque presented by Hong Kong Police Force for the research project on Police Force Communication System
- 2005, Honorary Advisor, The China International Public Relations Research Center, affiliated with Fudan University.
- Faculty Top Paper
Public Relations Division, International Communication Association
- FRG II
- Teaching Development Grant
- 2003, FRG II
Ketchum 2001 Walter K. Lindenmann Scholarship, formerly the SMART grant, awarded by the Institute of Public Relations in USA
Inez Kaiser Award of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Outstanding Graduate Scholar
- Department of Communication, University of Maryland.
- Finalist, Ketchum 2000 Walter K. Lindenmann Scholarship, formerly the SMART grant, awarded by the Institute of Public Relations in USA.
- Excellence in Research, Department of Communication, University of Maryland
- Winner, Inez Kaiser Award of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- 1999, Winner, Inez Kaiser Award of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication,
- November 2002 - Assistant Professor, Department of Communication Studies, HKBU
- January 2002-October 2002, Lecturer - Department of Communication Studies, HKBU
- Summer, 2001 - Intern Researcher in Ketchum, NY Award intern researcher in the Research and Measurement Department of Ketchum Public Relations Agency in New York.
- May 2001, Lecture Interpreter Assisted and interpreted Dr. James E. Grunig’s three lectures in Taipei, Taiwan.
- September 2000 – June 2001, Advisor Advising undergraduate students of the Department of Communication for their course planning
- June 2000, Lecture Interpreter, Assisted and interpreted Dr. James E. Grunig’s and Dr. Larissa A. Grunig’s two-week lectures in Guangzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai, China.
- September 1999, Lecturer, Teaching public relations theories (COMM 350) in the Department of Communication, University of Maryland
- April 1999 – October 2000, Conducting a cross-cultural research on trust with Dr. Deborah Cai in the Department of Communication, University of Maryland
- January 1999 – June 1999, Adjunct Lecturer, Teaching one undergraduate course of public relations (JOUR 330) at the College of Journalism, University of Maryland
- February 1999 – August 1999, Research Assistant, Assisted Dr. James Grunig in designing questionnaire, administering a survey on organization-public relationships, and analyzing data.
- April 1997 – September 1997, Research Assistant, Worked as a research assistant for Dr. Yi-Hui Huang’s doctoral dissertation; data collection from over 300 legislator assistants; translating English questionnaire into Chinese; questionnaire format design (English and Chinese); graphics, tables, charts design, and data analysis for the dissertation
- September 1996 – February 1997, University of Utah visiting postgraduate student, Took courses related to business and communication
- May 1996 – August 1997, University of California, Berkeley, Took courses in the Business School
- May 1995 – April 1996, United Pacific International Inc., Worked as the Account Executive in the public relations firm
Membership in Academic & Professional Associations
- 1999 – now Founding member, The Educator’s Academy of Public Relations Society of America
- 1999 – now Member, International Communication Association
- 1999 – now Member, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
- 2006 – now Member, Hong Kong Public Relations Professionals’ Association
Teaching responsibilities include teaching courses offered from the Public Relations & Advertising Option in the Department of Communication Studies and the postgraduate courses offered from the School of Communication in Hong Kong Baptist University.
In addition, I was also the instructor and coordinator of the Certificate Course on Strategic Public Relations Management and Crisis Communication launched in August, 2004.
List of courses taught in the Public Relations & Advertising Option:
- Principles and Practices of Public Relations
- Introduction to Public Relations and Advertising
- Public Relations Writing
- Advanced Public Relations & Advertising Writing
- Advanced Public Relations Writing
- Crisis Communication & Public Relations
- Special Topics in Public Relations & Advertising: Global Public Relations
- Special Topic in Public Relations & Advertising: Public Relations as Strategic Communication in Greater China
- Public Relations and Advertising Agency Management
- Public Relations and Advertising Practicum (as the TYA supervisor)
- Public Relations and Advertising Honors Project
List of postgraduate courses taught in the School of Communication
- Strategic Public Relations and Crisis Management
- Issues in Corporate Communication
- Organizational Communication
Invited Guest Speeches
- Keynote speaker, the First Conference on Public Relations Education in Greater China, University of International Relations, Beijing, China, November 2009.
- Invited speaker to 中国警察公共关系培训, organized by China International Public Relations Association, Beijing, China (January 4 – 6, 2008)
- Invited speaker to 第一屆華人傳播工作坊 organized by the School of Communication in National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan (Dec 15 – 16, 2007).
- Invited guest speaker to Xiamen University (July 18 – 21, 2007)
- Guest speaker to the graduate students in the University of International Relations on crisis communication (April, 2007)
- Guest speaker to the Public Relations Department of Foton Motors in Beijing on crisis communication (June 24, 2006)
- Guest speaker to the public relations graduate students in the University of International Relations on public relations ethics (Jan. 13, 2006).
- Guest speaker to the MBA students in Beijing University on crisis communication (Nov. 12, 2005)
- Guest speaker to public relations students in China University of Communication on public relations research (Nov. 11, 2005).
- Guest speaker to public relations graduate students in the University of International Relations on public relations research methodology (Nov. 8, 2005).
- Guest speaker to Edelman public relations in Taiwan on the study of relationship management (Aug. 15, 2005).
- Being interviewed by the 動腦magazine (a magazine on advertising and public relations) in Taiwan on the study of relationship management (Aug. 16, 2005).
- International Public Relations Association, Indonesia (May, 2004). Invited as the speaker for the launch ceremony of the book, Public Relations in Asia: An Anthology
- China International Public Relations Association Congress (June, 2004). Invited as the speaker in the Academic Committee Salon, Beijing, China.
- Christian Petra University, Surabaya, Indonesia (September, 2003). Invited as the speaker for the Conference on Agents of Peace: Journalism, Public Relations and Conflict Resolution.
- Sogang University, Seoul, Korea (July, 2002) Public Relations in China. Invited as the speaker for the pre-conference of the Public Relations Division of the 52nd Annual Conference of International Communication Association, Seoul.
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA (April, 2000) The Chinese way of interpersonal relationships. Invited as the guest speaker for the undergraduate course, Intercultural Communication, Department of Communication in the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Boston University, Boston, USA (March, 2000) The Study on Trust. Invited as the guest speaker for a graduate seminar on public affairs in the Department of Communication in Boston University.
- 2010 - , Member of HKBU Undergraduate Regulations Committee.
- 2009 Fall - 2011, Associate Chair, Postgraduate Studies Committee, School of Communication, HKBU.
- 2009 Fall, Committee Member, Student Affairs Committee, Hong Kong Baptist University
- 2008 Fall, Associate Director, Center for Media and Communication Research
- 2008 Fall, Public Relations & Advertising Option Coordinator
- 2007 Fall, Organizing Committee for International Symposium:
- Marketization in China to be held on March 14 – 15, 2008 (organized by the Center for Media and Communication Research, School of Communication, HKBU)
- 2007 Fall, Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship/ Scholarship
- 2007 Fall, School Senate Representative
- 2007 Fall, Working group on perception survey on university image
- 2006 Fall, Taskforce member on teaching load evaluation
- 2007 Fall, Organized MA students’study tour to Tokyo, Japan
- 2007 Spring, Judge for Ketchum Hong Kong Baptist University Competition
- 2007 Spring, Organized MA students’study tour to Taiwan
- 2007 Spring, Inviting and coordinating Professor Otto Lerbinger from
- Boston University for speeches to MA and PRA students and the keynote speech in the China International Public Relations Association academic conference in Macau
- 2006, Mentor for international exchange students
- 2006 Fall – 2007 Spring, Student Scholarship Committee
- 2006, Inviting and coordinating the world class scholars, Profs. James and Larissa Grunigs’visit and speeches to MA students and the industry.
- 2005 - 2006, Hong Kong Police Force Project on Communication
- 2005, Assisting China International Public Relations Association on the development of the public relations research center affiliated with Communication University of China, Beijing.
- 2005, Interviewer Telephone and face to face interviews with MA applicants
- 2005 Fall, Organizing and coordinating the first Ketchum HKBU competition for PRA students
- 2005 Spring, External examiner for a Ph.D. dissertation on public relations from University of Technology, Sydney.
- 2005 Spring, Drafting the public relations and advertising program proposal for the Zuhai International College
- 2005 Spring, Drafting the application for the accreditation of the International Advertising Association for the Public Relations and Advertising Program
- 2005, Mentor for international exchange students
- 2005, Interview Committee for the post of Internal Communication
Officer for the School of Communication, HKBU
- 2005, Drafting the course document for the MA Global Public Relations course
- 2005, Promotion Committee member for HKBU’s 50th Anniversary Celebration.
- 2005, Editorial Board International Journal of Strategic Communication.
- 2004, Editorial Board Communication Studies Journal
- Reviewer, The Association for Chinese Communication Society, National Communication Association
- Coordinator, The Certificate Course on Strategic Public Relations Management and Crisis Communication, School of Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Editorial Board Journal of Public Relations Research. As a member of the Editorial Board for the most prestigious public relations journal.
- School Board Secretary (2003 – 2007) School of Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Member, The On-line Teaching Course Committee
Public Relations Division, International Communication Association
- The Public Image Task Force Committee Hong Kong Baptist University
- The Publicity Committee (Public Relations) Department of Communication Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- September 2000–August 2001, Departmental Assembly Representative for Graduate Students in the Department of Communication, University of Maryland, College Park.
- January 2000–September 2000, Vice President Communication Graduate Student Association.