Prof. Hung joined the Department of Communications Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University in 2008. She has been active in the fields of advertising, marketing, and consumer research and her works have appeared in Journal of Marketing, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Advertising Research, and Journal of Retailing. Prof. Hung has given executive talks on Advertising in China at the Hong Kong Trade Development Council and she serves on the Editorial Review Board of the International Journal of Advertising. She has also written a number of teaching cases in the communications area. Prof. Hung is the recipient of multiple competitive research grants and awards including the Emerald Management Reviews Citations of Excellence award for 2012. She holds honorary positions at the University of Hong Kong and the Communication University of China.
- Celebrity Endorsement & Advertising Imagery
- Advertising & Branding in China
- Social Media & Online Communications
- Hung, Kineta (2013), “Why Celebrity Sells: A Dual Entertainment Path Model of Brand Endorsement," Journal of Advertising, (forthcoming).
- Hung, Kineta, Caleb H. Tse, and Shirley Cheng (2012), “Advertising Research in the Post-WTO Decade in China: Meeting the Internationalization Challenge,” Journal of Advertising, 41(3), 121-145.
- Hung, Kineta, Stella Yiyan Li, and David K. Tse (2011), “Interpersonal Trust and Platform Credibility in a Chinese Multi-brand Online Community: Effects on Variety-Seeking and Time-Spent,” Journal of Advertising, 40(3), 99-112.
- Hung, Kineta, Kimmy W. Chan, and Caleb H. Tse (2011), "Assessing Celebrity Endorsement Effects in China: A Consumer-Celebrity Relational Approach," Journal of Advertising Research, 51(4), 608-623.
- Maggie C. Dong, David K. Tse, and Kineta Hung (2010), "Effective Distributor Governance in Emerging Markets: The Salience of Distributor Role, Relationship Stages and Market Uncertainty," Journal of International Marketing, 18 (September), 1-17.
- Gu, Flora Fang, Kineta Hung and David K. Tse (2008), “When Does Guanxi Matter: Issues of Capitalization and its Dark Sides,” Journal of Marketing, 72(4), 12-28. [Article featured in the Journal of Marketing website]
- Hung, Kineta and Stella Yiyan Li (2007), “The Influence of eWOM on Virtual Consumer Communities: Social Capital, Consumer Learning, and Behavioral Outcomes,” Journal of Advertising Research, 47 (December), 485-495.
- Hung, Kineta, Stella Yiyan Li, and Russell W. Belk (2007), “Glocal Understandings: Female Readers’ Perceptions of the New Woman in Chinese Advertising,” Journal of International Business Studies, 38 (November), 1034-1051.
- Hung, Kineta, Flora Fang Gu, and Chi Kin (Bennett) Yim (2007), “A Social Institutional Approach to Identifying Generation Cohorts in China with a Comparison to American Consumers,” Journal of International Business Studies, 38 (September), 836-853.
- Yim, Chi Kin (Bennett), Kimmy Wa Chan and Kineta Hung (2007), “Multiple Reference Effects on Service Satisfaction and Commitment: Roles of Alternative Attractiveness and Self-Image Congruity,” Journal of Retailing, 83(1), 147-157.
- Yim, Chi Kin (Bennett), Kineta Hung, Joe N. Zhou and Jonathan Zhu (2006), “Do Social Institutions Matter to Markets in Transition? Investigating Consumer Sentiment in China,” Multinational Business Review, 14(2), 47-66.
- Hung, Kineta and Stella Yiyan Li (2006), "Images of the Contemporary Woman in Advertising in China: A Content Analysis," Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 19 (2), 7-28.
- Hung, Kineta, Flora Fang Gu, and David K. Tse (2005), “Improving Media Decisions in China: A Targetability and Cost-Benefit Analysis,” Journal of Advertising, 34 (Spring), 49-63.
- Hung, Kineta (2001), “Framing Meaning Perceptions with Music: the Case of Teaser Ads,” Journal of Advertising, 30 (Fall), 39-50.
- Hung, Kineta (2000), “Narrative Music in Congruent and Incongruent TV Advertising,” Journal of Advertising, 29 (Spring), 25-34. [Short-listed for the Best Paper Award]
- Hung, Kineta (2013), “Repairing the Made-in-China Image in the US and UK: Effects of Government-supported Advertising,” in Handbook of Public Diplomacy, Guy Golan, Sung-Un Yang and Dennis Kinsey (eds.), Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, (forthcoming).
- Shevy, Mark and Kineta Hung (2013), “Music in Television Advertising and Other Persuasive Media,” in Psychology of Music in Multimedia, Siu-Lan Tan, Annabel Cohen, Scott Lipscomb, and Roger Kendall (eds.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 315-338.
- Emerald Management Reviews Citations of Excellence Award for 2012. Awarded to the article “When Does Guanxi Matter? Issues of Capitalization and its Dark Sides” (Journal of Marketing, 2008).
- Featured Article in Journal of Marketing BLOG, 2008. Awarded to the article “When Does Guanxi Matter: Issues of Capitalization and its Dark Sides” (Journal of Marketing, 2008).
- Short-listed for Best Article Award in Journal of Advertising, 2000. Awarded to the article “Narrative Music in Congruent and Incongruent TV Advertising” (Journal of Advertising, 2000).
Competitive Research Grants:
- "Understanding the Global Proliferation of Chinese-Made Products: A Multi-Country Study on the Effects of Empathy and Expanded Worldview on Chinese-Made Product Evaluation," Hong Kong Research Grant Council (GRF), 2011-2013
- "The Celebrity as Brand Endorser: Motivations, Attachment and Effects," Hong Kong Research Grant Council (GRF), 2009-2011
- "Materialistic Value and Status Brand Consumption among Generation Cohorts in China," Hong Kong Research Grant Council (CERG), 2005-08
- Advertising in China
- Branding and Communication
- Case Studies in PR and Advertising
- Principles and Methods of Advertising
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Advertising Management
- Marketing Management
Written & Video Cases
- "Nike and Liu Xiang: Crisis Management in Sport Marketing," HKU Asia Case Research Centre, 2009.
- "Carrefour China & the Olympic Torch Relay: Managing Corporate Crisis," HKU Asia Case Research Centre, 2009.
- "SK-II: Damage Control in China," HKU Asia Case Research Centre, 2008.
- "WE Marketing Group: Building a Global Marketing and Communication Company in China," HKUAsia Case Research Centre, 2007 (with Ali Farhoomand).
- "WE Worldwide Partners: A Chinese Global Brand in the Advertising Industry," Focus-Asia Business Leaders Series, Asia Case Research Centre, University of Hong Kong, 2006 (with Ali Farhoomand).
- Episode aired on PBS in 2006 & BBC World News in 2008.
- "EDB and Friends: Reviving a Mature Brand through Interactive Online Marketing," HKU Asia Case Research Centre, 2007.
- "Creative Advertising: Sunday Communications Limited," HKU Asia Case Research Centre, 2005.
- American Academy of Advertising
- Association for Consumer Research
- Chinese Management Centre, University of Hong Kong